Over seventy-five years ago, in 1947, attorney John Marshall, a resident of Sheridan Avenue in Auburn, Maine, purchased a Butler Metal building franchise. He named his new company after his street, the Sheridan Corporation. In 1954, A young chemical engineer named Lyle M. Cutchin was in Aroostook County to build a potato starch plant. Lyle bought a Butler building from John Marshall. In 1958 Lyle bought the Sheridan Corporation and moved it to Central Maine, first locating it in Waterville, then Benton Station, and for the last 45 plus years, on or near Western Avenue in Fairfield. Interesting that once again the corporation is on a street named Sheridan, this time it is Sheridan Drive in Fairfield.
The Sheridan corporation has certainly grown and changed since its beginning in 1947. The building started out as simple structures, pretty much a shell with very little interior finish work. Today, Sheridan builds the premier complex buildings for the most prestigious companies, hospitals, schools, and institutions in Maine. There have been many people along the way who have significantly contributed to and are responsible for Sheridan’s success.